Sunday, September 26, 2010

At tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens

So I have to admit that for the first two thirds of this book I was wondering "Why on earth is this a Classic?!" It seemed that whenever the story was getting really good it would jump forward five years or so.  I started to wonder if I was going to make it through, but I decided to keep on plugging on and I made it two the last third which was excellent.  Dickens did such an excellent job of developing the characters that by the time the real story started I felt like I really know them. 

My favorite part of this book was the foil between Charles Darnay (Evrémonde) and Sydney Carton.  Here you have Charles born as a French Aristocrat with every reason to be biggoted, prideful person, and on the other hand you have Sydney who comes from a more humble, hardworking background but cares about no one and seems to have a disdain for everyone, including himself.

But with Lucie's love Darnay becomes an even better person who can't escape his true identity without the help of his look alike, Carton.  And with the idea that someone like Lucie could love someone such as himself, Carton shows the greatest love possible by giving his life so Lucie can be happy.

In summary, I almost quit reading this book I am so glad I didn't.  I loved Dickens word choice and I feel like I know a lot more about the time period because of this book.  I loved this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment