Sunday, September 26, 2010

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

Now this was very interesting.  I am not sure why so many people consider this book to be one of greatest of all time.  It turns out that this book wasn't well received when it was written, but gained fame after the depression because it showed so well the mentality that led to financial disasters. 

I am not sure if I liked it or not. I do think it was well written. I like the character development. I thought the characters were all interesting except for Nick, the narrator. I had a hard time with how Nick observed every aspect of the book without having any impact, yet at the end it was up to him to wrap everything up. Looking back that is kind of another example of what the book really shows.  Too many people were willing to close their eyes to reality, only to have to pick up the pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment