Friday, December 17, 2010

Hamlet by William Shakespeare

So this is the story about the prince, Hamlet, who his uncle has his dad the king killed so he, the uncle, can marry the queen, his sister in law, and become the king.  Everybody dies.  The end.

I have seen the movie and thought it was alright.  I was hoping that reading the text would be better.  This story is just not for me.  If I am going to read a play I want a happy ending or at least some sort of sense of overcoming and conquer or something.

I do have to admit that the language and writing are, of course, incredible.  I did like some of the twists and turns that the story made.  I can indeed appreciate why this is regarded so highly as a literary work, but as for a story, it just didn't do much for me at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment